Find Your Fit: Best Swimsuits for Hourglass Figures | La Blanca
You’ve got curves, and you aren’t afraid to show them! If you have an hourglass body shape, finding clothes and swimsuits that flatter your curves can be easy if you know what you’re looking for! Not sure where to start? We’ll show you which bathing suit styles can make your bombshell body shine.
Is My Body Type an Hourglass Shape?
The name of this body type gives it all away! Hourglass figures are shaped exactly like an old-fashioned sand timer—wide at the top and bottom, and noticeably narrower in the middle. Hourglass body types have wider shoulders and hips, and a tapered, clearly defined waistline. If this is your body shape, you may also have a fuller bust and curvy hips and thighs.
- Wider shoulders and hips
- A tapered, clearly defined waist
- Fuller bust
- Curvy hips and thighs
Accentuating your fabulous curves is as easy as choosing a bathing suit that truly fits and flatters your body, as celebs like Sofia Vergara, Raquel Welch, Scarlett Johansson, and even the Kardashians have proven time and time again. If you have an hourglass figure like these leading ladies of swimsuit style, don’t be afraid to flaunt those curves!
Whether you want to show some skin in a sophisticated bikini or keep it classy in a one-piece swimsuit, focus on showing off your waistline while keeping your bust and backside comfortably supported and covered.
Choosing the Best Bikinis for Hourglass Body Types
The hourglass body shape screams “feminine and classic.” For proof, just look at Marilyn Monroe’s shapely curves! Fortunately, this classic body shape is perfectly suited for a classic swimsuit style: a two-piece bikini. A bikini can bring visual balance to your similarly proportioned hips and shoulders, making your narrower waist the center of attention. Show what you own, girl! Here’s what to look for in bikinis for an hourglass figure:
- Triangle Tops: To keep the focus on your lovely (and often coveted!) waistline, go for a triangle bikini top like our Island Goddess Halter Bra Top. Adjustable bra coverage and straps allow you to fully customize this classic bikini top to your body’s shape and size.
- Halter Tankini Tops: Want something in between a full bikini and a one-piece swimsuit for your hourglass-shaped body? A tankini top is the answer! Styles like our Island Goddess Halter Tankini Top can fully support your bust and show off your shapely waistline, all while keeping your belly covered with flattering ruching detail.
- Wide Strap Top: If you have a larger bust this is a great style for you to rock. The wide straps provide you with extra support relieving some of the pressure. Try out our Island Goddess Twist Front Crossback Top for a great wide strapped top, and it even crosses in the back for even more support.
- Swim Top with Bra Cup: Bathing suits that provide ample support, similar to a bra, are ideal for the hourglass form. Choose swimsuits with a bra cup style that will provide you the support you need to guarantee your boobs are in place when you're in the pool or the ocean. Our By The Sea Underwire Over The Shoulder Top is a perfect example of this style. This top has padded cups with underwire and over-the-shoulder straps that are customizable for maximum support and comfort.
Choosing the Best Bikini Bottoms for Hourglass Body Types
- Full Coverage Bottoms: Styles that cover more of your hips and bum will downplay these features just enough to give your curvy waist the spotlight. Add feminine flair with our Island Goddess Ruffle Skirted Hipster Bottom, which features shirred fabric to smooth out any trouble spots.
- High Waisted Swim Bottom: This style of bikini is another amazing style for hourglass body shapes. The high waist draws attention to the smallest area of your body making it highlight your hourglass figure and emphasizing your curves. Our Mediterranean Breeze High Waist Bottom will have you feeling fabulous, sleek, sophisticated, and sexy, with its Mediterranean-inspired print and V-shaped front.
- Low Rise Bikini Bottom: Low rise bottoms are great for those that are hourglass but have a shorter torso. Since they don’t cover up as much they elongate the torso, just be aware they can make your legs look shorter. If you’re looking for a low-rise bottom, our Eclectic Shore Side Tie Hipster Bottom is the ideal option if you’re looking for a piece that won’t make your legs look shorter.
How To Find Flattering One-Piece Swimsuits for Hourglass Body Types
Baring your midriff is a great way to rock your body’s curves, but it’s certainly not the only way! If one-piece swimsuits are more your style, keep these tips in mind as you shop for swimsuits for an hourglass body type:
- Plunging Necklines: For those who want to keep their stomach under wraps but don’t mind showing a little cleavage, a plunging neckline is a great alternative to a two-piece bikini. Styles like our Island Goddess Multi-Strap Cross-Back Mio can accentuate your shape with a built-in tummy toner, while the deep V neckline and strappy back let you show off your sexy shoulders.
- Bust Support: Whether you want a plunging neckline or something a bit more modest, no one wants to worry about wardrobe malfunctions during a friendly game of beach volleyball. If your bust is on the larger side, look for swimsuits that have ample support in the form of removable cups or underwire inserts. Our Island Goddess Surplice Mio checks all of those boxes and has added detailing around the waist to keep the attention on your gorgeous curves.
- Belted Suits: Another great option is going for a belted bathing suit. This style will show off your curves while accentuating your waist. They work to draw the eye towards the midsection and make it look smaller. Going for an option like our Island Goddess Bandeau Mio is a great choice. The belt has a small gather towards the center where it is held by gold hardware and on the sides which will help with defining the waist.
- High Cut: Suits with a higher cut leg are an amazing choice if you are looking to highlight the length of your legs. These are the best options because they’re the ones that help create that illusion. Look for suits that have a high-cut leg and this will draw the eye upwards in this area. By showing a little bit more skin in this area, you’ll elongate your legs instantly. Our Island Goddess Shirred One Shoulder One Piece is perfect if you want to give this style a try but don’t want anything too excessive.
An Extra Tip
While there are a variety of different bathing suits that look great on you and there aren't that many styles that aren't as favorable to your body type, as well as limitations as to what you should not wear or should avoid, your focus is probably more geared towards emphasizing your assets (full chest and small waist) and amplifying your natural curves.
Essentially, it’s important to keep in mind that string bikinis might not be your friend if you have a larger chest size. This is because they may be out of proportion with your size. They also rarely provide enough support or coverage for larger chests, such tiny triangle tops may not function effectively to support your chest properly.
If you have a slimmer hourglass figure you can probably wear a traditional string bikini with ease. As for string bikini bottoms, on the other hand, they can also be an unpleasant option due to the lack of fabric if you have a bigger bottom, as most hourglass-shaped women do. If you’re looking to wear this style you’ll want to look for a suit with enough fabric in the back so you aren’t constantly tugging at your bottoms for more coverage.
Find the Best Bathing Suits for Hourglass Figures at La Blanca
Ready to channel your curvy confidence with a stylish new swimsuit? Shop the best swimsuit styles for hourglass figures at La Blanca, and find your perfect fit without the risk when you enjoy complimentary shipping and returns on all orders over $79.